[Cuis-dev] These strange days (and our community)

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Wed Mar 25 07:55:36 PDT 2020

Hi Folks,

Coronavirus is hitting hard in many places. And places not hit hard yet
are getting ready for it. This has been affecting daily life for
everyone. Let's keep in mind that the top priorities are to take care of
ourselves and others, following orders and advice from local authorities
and the WHO. Many people are facing extreme hardships, including health
care and emergency workers, people who got ill and their loved ones.
Let's hope it turns out to the best for them, and let's help them when
possible.

For the rest of us, for the majority of the world, we just need to be
very careful.

Many people are not able to work at their job or attend to school. Some
of us are lucky enough to be able to keep working from our homes, almost
as usual. In any case, for a lot of us (I know, we are the most lucky
ones), the biggest challenge is to fight our own fear, anguish and
boredom. Let's spend good time with family and friends, talking, playing
games, whatever we can do without leaving our homes. Let's try to get
some exercise. This is great not only for the body, but also for the
mind. My wife Lucía and my daughters Sofía and Diana have been dancing
to some youtube videos. I must join them next time! Some TV is OK, but
too much of it is not. Get enough rest. Take some time to be calm and
quiet. Meditate. Spend time learning and practicing stuff you love.
Maybe we can make the most of this time by focusing on programming projects.

So, use Cuis. Play with Cuis. Learn with Cuis. Learn about Cuis. Feel
free to share your thoughts and feelings here. We are a community. Many
of us have never meet in person, but we still share a lot. We are a
bunch of friends, even if it might be a little different kind of friendship.

Let me tell how all this is going for me.

In Argentina, we are in a preventive quarantine. We still don't have
many cases, but we (Argentina) want to flatten the exponential growth
from the start. My kids are at home, as schools are closed. The school
gave them a lot of stuff to "research", so this is becoming a kind of
home schooling! Lucía and I are spending time helping them with that.
Fortunately, we and our larger families are all healthy. We keep in
touch. We are both also doing home office for work. So we are quite
busy! Our home has a nice backyard and the weather is nice, so we are
able to spend time outside.

I spend some time doing Cuis. I know I'm being quite slow in answering
email and several of you are waiting an answer on some particular topic.
I apologize for this, and I promise I'll eventually get to each one of
them. I have also been working a few hours over several weeks on
VectorGraphics and TrueType. I have some updates to push, hopefully
today, and will tell in another email.

Thank you all for being around, helping Cuis grow, recoding videos and
spreading the word, or simply sharing this space. Everybody, please feel
free to share your feelings and thoughts.