[Cuis-dev] These strange days (and our community)

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 08:19:02 PDT 2020

Juan, et al.

I am an Apprentice Ruby coder, and a lot of Ruby documents praise
Smalltalk. They are not very subtle about suggesting an awareness of
Smalltalk would help one's Ruby skills. Thus I found Cuis. I bought two
Smalltalk books, "Smalltalk-80" (Goldberg) and "Smalltak Objects, and
Design" (Liu).

Unfortunately, I am not able to mentally bridge the gap between the old
books and the current Cuis. I have done a lot of text based coding, even my
Ruby is written in Vim and run in a shell window. Part of the difficulty is
personal, I'm trying to adjust to the GUI. Sadly, I'm still trying, the
learning is slow for me.   :)

I appreciate what you and the others are doing. As I have time and
understanding, I will learn more. If there is a movement to unify the Cuis
and Smalltalk documentation, it might help those of us who come to this
without a Computer Science background.

Thank you for Cuis.

Leam