[Cuis-dev] Ropes paper, Traits & ropes

Casey Ransberger bahweep at icloud.com
Sat May 9 00:04:21 PDT 2020

I’m actually curious about the 1994 (“received”) date. The paper says Cedar used ropes “almost since its inception,” but I’m having a hard time figuring out what time frame Cedar was an active project in. Probably just doing a bad job of composing a web search query. Anyway it seems possible from the phrasing that by publication time, Cedar had been around for a while.

I searched dl.acm.org for ‘xerox cedar’ and the top hit is ‘A survey of remote procedure calls’ via ACM SIGOPS Operating Systems Review, vol. 24, issue #3. This document is dated 1990. The abstract refers to ‘Xerox Cedar RPC.’ Guessing that’s an RPC Cedar used, so yeah.

Definitely older than 1995. Not sure by how much.

—Casey