[Cuis-dev] Ropes paper, Traits & ropes

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Sat May 9 07:33:41 PDT 2020

On 2020-05-09 00:04, Casey Ransberger via Cuis-dev wrote:

> I'm actually curious about the 1994 ("received") date. ...
..
> Definitely older than 1995. Not sure by how much.

Casey,

You are not looking back far enough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesa_(programming_language)

I worked in the early '80s in the Tektronix Research Lab with a guy who
had worked on/with Cedar and told me about ropes.  I was interested
enough to twist his arm a bit and got a bootlegged listing of the
Cedar/Mesa rope implementation code to see how they did it.

This was when Tektronix internally had the Magnolia personal workstation
which ran Tektronix Smalltalk.  I was working with a group which did a
Scheme native code compiler for the Motorola 88K.  Many interesting
programming language implementation discussions at the time.

I think Cedar was considered "old" then!  8^)  Now it is me that's old!
8^(  Er, make that long-lived.  8^)

Cheers,
-KenD