[Cuis-dev] Slang for Cuis (WIP, experimental)

Casey Ransberger bahweep at icloud.com
Sun May 17 23:27:40 PDT 2020

I think it’s a brilliant idea myself, in fact I’ve thought of trying to do exactly what you’re doing for years, but it seemed a rather large project, and I have only modified a Squeak VM once in my life to do a very small thing, so I worried that I might not have the area knowledge to do the job.

It always seemed a bit odd to me that the Slang language, the GUI tool that comes with VMMaker, and the VM source code were all one big monolithic thing. With a Slang translator teased away from the VM stuff, it seems like I could write C programs in a subset of Smalltalk and conveniently test them in simulation. Unleashing Smalltalk’s powerful debugging tools on what ends up being a C program is pretty attractive.

I’m glad someone is trying this.

—Casey