[Cuis-dev] Slang for Cuis (WIP, experimental)

Philip Bernhart philip.bernhart at posteo.de
Sat May 30 14:23:48 PDT 2020

Hi David,

"David T. Lewis via Cuis-dev" <cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> writes:

> Don't believe everything you read on vm-dev ;-)
> If you are interested in writing your own primitives for just about
> any reason at all, then named primitives are exactly what you want.

Ok, if you say so. But why should I believe you? :-)

> Regarding stand-along slang generation, as a point of comparison you
> may want to take a look at the interactive "slang browsing" in the
> traditional VMMaker. This is set up to attempt C code translation for
> any instance-side method in any class (not just the VM classes).

I don't know what you want to say with that. If just as a feature to
compare code between old and "new", then it's interesting and cool.

Still... there is the problem of how to sustainable co-evolve against
the same VM interface. For example which implementation of the
interpreterProxy should be serialized? I would need some answers
around that whole massive topic, before starting to implement
a Cuis Slang PluginMaker.

Anyway the feature inspired me to implement that for Cuis Slang:

https://github.com/Phantasus/Cuis-Smalltalk-Slang/blob/master/Journal.md#30th-may-2020-jpb

Thanks,
Philip