[Cuis-dev] [RFC] Modules/Namespaces for Cuis

Gerald Klix cuis.01 at klix.ch
Thu Oct 1 12:17:58 PDT 2020

On 2020-10-01 16:22, ken.dickey--- via Cuis-dev wrote:
> On 2020-09-30 12:29, Gerald Klix wrote:
> ..
>> I looked at Ken's design
>
> Thanks for looking.  Good to mine ideas from everywhere.  Take the best
> ideas!
>
>> However I do not like Ken's shared pool implementation and the lack of
>> means
>> to define classes in environments.
>
> As I noted in the README.md
I read that remark.

> "Currently, I am using (deprecated) sharedPool, which could be renamed
> to sharedEnvironments."
That's not an issue, those (deprecated)
sharedPools will stay forever. There is also
classPool for class variables; at the VM execution layer both of them
should be
indistinguishable.

I care more about issues with classes that
actually use shared pools and may run into naming conflicts.

BTW: Wasn't there something like
"sharedConstants"? I can faintly remember such
a thing in Smalltalk/V (for MSDOS).

That being said, should we treat classes
imported from other environments as constants?
AFAIR: sharedPools create non-constant bindings.
This will only make a difference, when dealing
with non classes.

It's after 9pm, I am havering.