[Cuis-dev] Saving a CodePackage and determining its class when installing it

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sun Oct 25 17:24:46 PDT 2020

On 10/25/2020 12:04 PM, Nicolás Papagna Maldonado via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> For some experiments I'm doing, I've created a subclass of CodePackage
> (let's call it FakeCodePackage) to make my tests run fast that avoids
> accessing Smalltalk or SystemOrganization.
> When I filed-out the package and installed it in a fresh image, to my
> surprise, the newly installed package was an instance of FakeCodePackage.
>
> After poking around, I found this method in CodePackage that is used
> when saving an instance:
>
> codePackageClass
>   "Answer the specific CodePackage subclass to use."
>
>   self class == CodePackage ifFalse: [
>     ^ self class ].
>   self classesDo: [ :cls |
>     (cls inheritsFrom: CodePackage)
>       fTrue: [ ^ cls ]].
>   ^ nil
>
> This means that whenever there is a subclass of CodePackage in the
> package being saved, It is assumed that is the class that should be
> used to re-creating the CodePackage instance when installing it.
>
> In my case, FakeCodePackage is not fully functional as I use it only
> in my tests, so I was unable to either delete the package or
> re-install it because of all sorts of errors.
> Luckily this was a fresh image, so I had nothing to lose :)
>
> I was wondering what is the use case for that, and if it still
> relevant/in use.
>
> Cheers!
> Nico PM

Too bad you found this bug. I hadn't thought of people writing
subclasses of CodePackage, unless for instantiation of the package
itself. This is used by ColorExtrasPackage and MorphicMisc1Package. It
is only used to run #prePackageInstall and #postPackageInstall, and I
don't think it is a clean solution. Anyway, I just posted a fix to that
method, to also check for the package name.