[Cuis-dev] [] storeString freezes the image

Nicolás Papagna Maldonado nicolas.papagna at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 18:41:00 PDT 2020

Hi folks!
Hope you're doing fine :)

Just found this issue while I was trying to add a new Preference whose
value is a block.
Specifically, I want users to be able to configure the block that should be
used for opening the class finder (either the default one or Cuis-Finder).

The issue starts when Preferences>>compileAccessMethodForPreference: is
evaluated: the message storeString is sent to the preference value (in this
case a block) to create the code for its accessor method.
Turns out that if you send storeString to a block (say [] storeString) the
image freezes and the only way to exit is to kill the process.

The whole thing seems to be caused by the default implementation that is
used (Object>>storeOn:) when the first instance variable is retrieved.
I'm not sure what a custom implementation of BlockClosure>>storeOn: or if
it should have one at all, but if we are unable to store blocks into
strings maybe it will be better if we fail.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,
Nico PM