[Cuis-dev] Embedded Squeak/Cuis

Casey Ransberger bahweep at icloud.com
Thu Sep 3 16:17:45 PDT 2020

I looked at writing an X11 window manager as a plugin for Squeak. But my search for “how make x11 window manager" didn’t turn up much. I pulled down the source for a supposedly minimal wm and looked at the total LoC and thought “yeah, maybe not.”

It would still be cool to see native applications running inside of SystemWindows. Obviously the native widgets would be jarring, but it’s better in my mind than having to switch out of a full-screen smalltalk to a full-screen desktop (this is an insight I got running Windows on a Mac with a feature called Synergy, which allowed Windows windows to coexist with Mac windows on the same desktop.

Anyway, I’m super glad we’ve got Cuis running in the framebuffer. X11 is over-rated anyway. We still have the problem of needing to drag a whole operating system (there shouldn’t be one) along with us if we want to be able to use a web browser, and we kind of need to use a web browser nowadays (sigh.) Someday I’d like to crack that egg.

—Casey