[Cuis-dev] Clicking the 'collapse' halo handle brings up the debugger

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Mon Apr 5 10:05:39 PDT 2021

On 4/5/2021 9:57 AM, Pat Foley via Cuis-dev wrote:
> It complains that unidentified object does not understand #canvas.

I included a fix for this in my message "Several changesets to address
recent issues"

> The unidentified object in question is 'self world', which for the
> collapse handle comes back #nil. That seems weird.

That's because it is done after "self delete", which removes the halo
from the world. Then #world becomes nil. It is a bug, of course.

> (There is of course nothing wrong with #collapse, which works fine
> from the icon and from the menu handle > halo actions.)
>
> P.S.
>
> Why do we still have halos anyway? Almost the only thing I ever use
> them for is getting an inspector, and I can think of better ways to
> present that option (and the rest of the options in the debug and in
> the helpfully titled "menu" handle). Maybe everyone else has lots of
> uses for them (that are not served by the window frame or the window's
> icons) but evidently no one has clicked on the collapse handle in a
> while...

I think halos are a great and cool idea. I don't see a reason to remove
them. Having some very specific morphs (i.e. Windows) duplicate some of
the functionality they provide doesn't make them any less useful for
other kinds of morphs. Take a look at the recent presentations of
VectorGraphics in Cuis, at https://youtu.be/_NB2_Q4bYEk and
https://vimeo.com/532636234 to see some examples (amongst a whole lot of
interesting stuff!)