[Cuis-dev] Clicking the 'collapse' halo handle brings up the debugger

Douglas Brebner kirtai+st at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 00:25:34 PDT 2021

On 05/04/2021 13:57, Pat Foley via Cuis-dev wrote:

> Why do we still have halos anyway? Almost the only thing I ever use
> them for is getting an inspector, and I can think of better ways to
> present that option (and the rest of the options in the debug and in
> the helpfully titled "menu" handle). Maybe everyone else has lots of
> uses for them (that are not served by the window frame or the window's
> icons) but evidently no one has clicked on the collapse handle in a
> while...

SystemWindows are not the only way to group Morphs. A lot of the tools
made by the original Squeak devs used PasteUpMorph to group Morphs or
just bare Morphs and halos are the best way to interact with those.

I don't actually like how SystemWindows are the go to for grouping
Morphs. They lose a lot of power in exchange for convenience. IIRC, they
were originally introduced to make it easier to port the existing dev
tools from the MVC GUI, not as the standard way to make tools.