[Cuis-dev] hello

Casey Ransberger bahweep at icloud.com
Sat Apr 10 17:58:08 PDT 2021

Hello Tetsuo!

First thing to know is, Smalltalk is very hard to learn at the beginning. The good news is, once you get through learning the tools, you can use the tools to learn very, very quickly.

It’s hard at the beginning, in part because we have to learn these alien tools, but then, wow! These tools are amazing! And then it becomes really, really easy. As in, I knew 20 programming languages before I learned Smalltalk, and now Smalltalk is easier for me than any of them. This is because there is great leverage in the underlying message-passing semantics, which are simpler than every language (although I’d bow to the Lisp programmers as well.)

My advice is, don’t give up! If you keep going, it becomes a programmer’s heaven. You can do it, so stand tall.

—Casey