[Cuis-dev] TrueType Fonts assignment

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Tue Apr 27 10:50:47 PDT 2021

Hi Berhard,

On 4/25/2021 10:03 AM, Bernhard Pieber via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I noticed that when I switch to a TrueType font other than DejaVu the return glyph look like a rectangle instead of an up arrow. Is there something I can do about it. I wonder how DejaVu does it?
> I searched in the code but could not find an answer.

Right. The answer is not in the code. Unicode arrows are code points
8592 to 8595. DejaVu and NeoEuler provide them. The other fonts included
in Cuis don't. They will work with any TrueType font that does include them.

Maybe we'd patch the TT font loader to build synthetic arrows if the
font doesn't include them...

> However, I found a new question: What ist the difference between the preferences #useAlwaysLeftArrow and #useLeftArrow?
>
> Cheers,
> Bernhard

#useLeftArrow is on by default. It makes assignment and return look like
arrows, using the Unicode arrow glyphs.
#useAlwaysLeftArrow makes _all_ underscores and carets look like arrows,
even in comments, or in TextEditors. But I just saw it doesn't work
perfectly well. It does work if you set the preference first, and load
TrueType afterwards. And it only works for TrueType. Is this feature of
any value? Maybe we'd just remove it?