[Cuis-dev] TrueType Fonts assignment

Robert Calco bobcalco at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 12:31:07 PDT 2021

I'm a noob to Cuis, though I've been lurking awhile, and after watching
recent demos about progress on SVG I got an instance working on my Windows
machine using the 64 bit vm and Cuis5.0-4567.image. I tweaked preferences a
bit and found I liked everything about the experience *except* how TT fonts
had the return and assignment arrows looking like blocks, as noted by
Bernhard.

I am unable to find the preferences you mention above, but figured out I
could add them to the preferences list, however they did not change
anything. So maybe I'm using the wrong image?

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind if the left and up arrows were always
dynamically inserted by default when I type ^ or :=, but not until all the
supported fonts can render them properly. That would be my feedback. Until
then the default should be ^ for returning a value, and := for assignment.

The SVG support is a big deal and I'm interested in exploring what I can do
with Cuis as an alternative, but for most application needs Pharo and
Cincom, as "top heavy" as they are, still seem most suitable for actual
application development. Gemstone is also great. In general I am always
struggling with which to use for what purpose.

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 1:52 PM Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev <
cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

> Hi Berhard,
>
> On 4/25/2021 10:03 AM, Bernhard Pieber via Cuis-dev wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I noticed that when I switch to a TrueType font other than DejaVu the
> return glyph look like a rectangle instead of an up arrow. Is there
> something I can do about it. I wonder how DejaVu does it?
> > I searched in the code but could not find an answer.
>
> Right. The answer is not in the code. Unicode arrows are code points
> 8592 to 8595. DejaVu and NeoEuler provide them. The other fonts included
> in Cuis don't. They will work with any TrueType font that does include
> them.
>
> Maybe we'd patch the TT font loader to build synthetic arrows if the
> font doesn't include them...
>
> > However, I found a new question: What ist the difference between the
> preferences #useAlwaysLeftArrow and #useLeftArrow?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Bernhard
>
> #useLeftArrow is on by default. It makes assignment and return look like
> arrows, using the Unicode arrow glyphs.
> #useAlwaysLeftArrow makes _all_ underscores and carets look like arrows,
> even in comments, or in TextEditors. But I just saw it doesn't work
> perfectly well. It does work if you set the preference first, and load
> TrueType afterwards. And it only works for TrueType. Is this feature of
> any value? Maybe we'd just remove it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Juan Vuletich
> www.cuis-smalltalk.org
> https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev
> https://github.com/jvuletich
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/juan-vuletich-75611b3
> @JuanVuletich

*Bob Calco*

bobcalco at gmail.com
813-997-3583 (work mobile)
813-523-3751 (personal mobile)

*"But you can catch yourself entertaining habitually certain ideas and
setting others aside; and this, I think, is where our personal destinies
are largely decided." *-- *Alfred North Whitehead*

*"And now I see with eye serene the very pulse of the machine." *--* William
Wordsworth*