[Cuis-dev] Not saving the image?

Nicola Mingotti nmingotti at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 07:17:51 PDT 2021

Adding my 2 cents to this subject

On 8/1/21 2:11 AM, Phil B via Cuis-dev wrote:
> This advice is a bit more critical for Cuis since we don't have major
> releases the way other Smalltalks do as it is basically a rolling
> release.  So we frequently have updates which aren't safe to overlay
> on a modified image as they can, and do, assume anything is fair game
> to modify (i.e. core classes/methods get renamed, parts of Morphic get
> torn down/restructured/restarted etc.)   There will almost never be a
> warning as updates are only tested against the previous 'vanilla'
> image and no one really knows what they'll do to the state of a given
> modified image.  So when updates come out that you are interested in,
> or if it's just been a while since you updated: you save all of your
> packages, update your copy of the git repo, open up the latest image,
> apply updates and then load your packages.

Thank you for sharing this thought Phil, it was clarifing to me.

I would add this consideration. The procedure of not saving the image
would not fit well in Squeak because there, by default,
are included tools for children [of all ages;)] which do not require
code writing to make a full artifact.
For example EToys. Since it does not require code but cinematics
interactions it
would make more difficult/cumbersome/indirect to export
your work as file in Git. There it makes a lot more sense to save the Image.

As I see it, Cuis starts minimal. If you bend it into the Squeak use
case then it becomes interesting
to save the image. If you bend it more into, say, Python, then it is
more fit, and you
will fill more at home keeping on with Git.

bye
Nicola