[Cuis-dev] I have some issues running the conf. script file at startup

Nicola Mingotti nmingotti at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 06:47:51 PDT 2021

Hi Hilaire,

On 8/3/21 11:16 AM, Hilaire Fernandes via Cuis-dev wrote:

> Hi Nicola,
>
> What I am guessing: the start up script invoked with the -s command
> ran in a process of higher priority than the UI process -- where the
> morph operations occur.

that might well be !

> Sending the message #doOneCycle is forcing one loop of update of the
> UI, i.e. the requested Morphic operations are forced to take place
> immediately (mostly?)
>
> Your forked process, with the delay, just delays your Morphic
> operations once the start up script has been entirely executed -- or
> something like that.
>
> I should add a note in the ad-hoc book section, but I don't understand
> fully the evolution of the issue -- was working with previous image
> and not anymore now if the #doOneCycle message is not send.
>
> I opened an issue
> https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/TheCuisBook/issues/15 to not forget
> about it.
>
> Feel free to add comment to this issue when needed so we can fix the
> documentation appropriately.

I find putting notes in Git issues is great not to forget !

I consider documentation fundamental. I learnt most of what i know by
book, i love them ;)
I am willing to give you an hand on that.

For the moment I need to leave aside the boot issue, but I will be back.

In particular, a have a raw vision by now, but I think it would be great
if we could implement
things in such a way that:

. ENV parameters must be read before anything and must be able to set
global variables / Preferences.
. string parameter must be executed with high priority, maybe before the
World goes up ?
. script parameters must be executed when everything else is done.

I am going to copy this into the git, near your comment, even if it is
not about
documentation but about the same issue.

Bye
Nicola