[Cuis-dev] VectorEnginePlugin: parts in motion

Nicola Mingotti nmingotti at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 00:19:41 PDT 2021

Very good description Ken !

Joseph, one thing is the operating system, one thing is the GUI.

In Windows and Mac they are fused into a single being but it is not
necessarily the same.

In Linux (Unix) you can install the operating system + basic utilities
without the GUI. This is classic, we do it 99%
of times in servers. If you install like that you get a black screen and
a shell when you boot your computer.

If you install Cuis on top of that there is no problem, because Linux is
talking the the machine,
and Cuis is talking to Linux.  I made a video about it.
https://youtu.be/MkRL83QsVh0

Since Smalltalk was born to talk to the machine directly, that is, it
was the operating system once,
it is not impossible to run it that way. But as I told you once ;) this
opens the huge problem of drivers.
Do you think you will have wifi ? NO. Do you think you will have USB
support ? NO ... And I tell
you this because (I am not hardware expert) less used OS face this kind
of problem.
if you want a practical proof try to run OpenBSD or FreeBSD in RPi then
tell me what misses ;) And these are already "popular" operating system.

bye
Nicola