[Cuis-dev] [IMPROV] Mouse Wheel Events

Gerald Klix cuis.01 at klix.ch
Fri Aug 20 09:39:18 PDT 2021

On 8/20/21 6:23 PM, Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev wrote:
> On 8/20/2021 1:17 PM, Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev wrote:

>>> Hi Nicola,
>>>
>>> sorry for my delayed reaction. Just came back to my computer.
>>>
>>> As an immediate workaround do `Smalltalk sendMouseWheelEvents: false`.
>>> This should restore the old behavior. This state is saved
>>> with the image.
>>>
>>> If you can afford some time, I would like you to do some testing:
>>>
>>> 1. Clear your Transcript
>>> 2. Do `Smalltalk sendMouseWheelEvents: true`
>>> 3. Do `Sensor test`.
>>> 4. Do some scrolling.
>>> 5. *Press x, to exit this test-method*
>>> 6. Activate the Transcript's pop-up menu and select
>>>    'Workspace with Contents'
>>> 7. Copy the Workspace's contents to an E-Mail
>>> 8. Do `Smalltalk sendMouseWheelEvents: false`
>>> 9. Repeat steps 3 to 7
>>>

>>> Send the E-Mail to the list.
>>> Hopefully this will give us some clues about
>>> the problem.
>>>

>>> Best Regards,
>>>
>>> Gerald
>>>

>> Just did some testing in Ubuntu, also in VMWare Fusion in a Macbook.
>>
>> Running with the "Cuis recommended" VM (as per
>> https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/blob/master/Documentation/GettingStarted.md
>> ), I see the same behavior as Nicola.
>>
>> The good news is that with Gerald's VectorGraphics VM, available at
>> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rhkt4ayq24t2xbf/AACDb3mrjMUDB8Mptd-Bi6Zsa?dl=0
>> , it runs ok. Same with latest build from OpenSmalltalk:
>> https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/releases/tag/latest-build
>> .
Thanks a lot for testing. Of course it did not come to my old
and feeble mind to test with an older VM, even after Phil told
us that these events where not sent when he implemented mouse scrolling.
(Sorry, at least I should have thought about it)

>> So, it seems it is a bug in the Linux X64 VM, that has already been
>> fixed.
So what will we do now?
1. Change the documentation to point to some working VM
2. Keep the code, but disable the setting and add a preference
    like "Focus follows mouse"
3. Carefully test a bunch of VMs and enable the setting
for those VMs known to work.

The later is obviously the right thing to do,
but I don't want to invest too much work and would prefer
option 2. I want to change that preferences menu anyway
to use check-box-items that give visual feedback about
the option activated. "Focus follows mouse" is the
one that is really bad now.

>> Thanks,
>>

> Latest OpenSmalltalk release also works OK:
>
> https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/releases/tag/202003021730

Again just my 0.20,

Gerald