[Cuis-dev] [IMPROV] Mouse Wheel Events

Phil B pbpublist at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 10:25:02 PDT 2021

Gerald,

On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 12:39 PM Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev <
cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

> Thanks a lot for testing. Of course it did not come to my old
> and feeble mind to test with an older VM, even after Phil told
> us that these events where not sent when he implemented mouse scrolling.
> (Sorry, at least I should have thought about it)

Not a big deal... you tested what you could think of at the time which is
all you can do.  Even just looking at Linux, it's difficult to impossible
to test every configuration variation out there.

> >> So, it seems it is a bug in the Linux X64 VM, that has already been
> >> fixed.
> So what will we do now?
> 1. Change the documentation to point to some working VM
> 2. Keep the code, but disable the setting and add a preference
>     like "Focus follows mouse"
> 3. Carefully test a bunch of VMs and enable the setting
> for those VMs known to work.
>
> The later is obviously the right thing to do,
> but I don't want to invest too much work and would prefer
> option 2. I want to change that preferences menu anyway
> to use check-box-items that give visual feedback about
> the option activated. "Focus follows mouse" is the
> one that is really bad now.

I'd be in favor of adding a preference.  From time to time, expect that
various VM builds may break this functionality (i.e. mouse events are
platform specific and this type of code has a history of breaking, at least
temporarily, over time) and we just need a way to fallback to the keyboard
event handling for them if it does while waiting for a fix.

> >> Thanks,
> >>

> > Latest OpenSmalltalk release also works OK:
> >

> https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/releases/tag/202003021730
> >

> Again just my 0.20,
>
> Gerald

Thanks,