[Cuis-dev] [IMPROV] Mouse Wheel Events

Gerald Klix cuis.01 at klix.ch
Fri Aug 20 10:51:15 PDT 2021

On 8/20/21 7:25 PM, Phil B via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Gerald,
>
> On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 12:39 PM Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev <
> cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:
>
>> Thanks a lot for testing. Of course it did not come to my old
>> and feeble mind to test with an older VM, even after Phil told
>> us that these events where not sent when he implemented mouse scrolling.
>> (Sorry, at least I should have thought about it)
>>

> Not a big deal... you tested what you could think of at the time which is
> all you can do.  Even just looking at Linux, it's difficult to impossible
> to test every configuration variation out there.
Remember I boasted about having worked as a software tester;
at least I should have asked you guys on the list if someone
has a official release VM ready and is willing to test the
new feature with it.

>> So what will we do now?
>> 1. Change the documentation to point to some working VM
>> 2. Keep the code, but disable the setting and add a preference
>>      like "Focus follows mouse"
>> 3. Carefully test a bunch of VMs and enable the setting
>> for those VMs known to work.
>>
>> The later is obviously the right thing to do,
>> but I don't want to invest too much work and would prefer
>> option 2. I want to change that preferences menu anyway
>> to use check-box-items that give visual feedback about
>> the option activated. "Focus follows mouse" is the
>> one that is really bad now.
>>

> I'd be in favor of adding a preference.  From time to time, expect that
> various VM builds may break this functionality (i.e. mouse events are
> platform specific and this type of code has a history of breaking, at least
> temporarily, over time) and we just need a way to fallback to the keyboard
> event handling for them if it does while waiting for a fix.
You are right, I did not take the upkeep of option 3 into account.

Juan, are OK with me changing the preferences menu in the said way?

>>> Latest OpenSmalltalk release also works OK:
>>>

>> https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/releases/tag/202003021730
>>>

>> Again just my 0.20,
>>
>> Gerald
>>

> Thanks,