[Cuis-dev] VectorGrahicsPlugin Troubles (WAS: Re: A few tweaks to preferences)

Phil B pbpublist at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 19:56:46 PDT 2021

Juan,

On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 10:34 PM Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev <
cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

> Thanks Gerald. I have experienced occasional crashes when zooming heavy
> windows, but this surely makes it more likely to happen. I can't test it
> right now (I need Windows or Linux), but I thought of a possible reason
> for the problem. If many drag-the-scale-handle events are processed in
> the same Morphic cycle, and processing each takes too much time, next
> cycle will take longer, so it will process even more of those events (if
> generated at a constant rate by an insisting user). The growth is
> exponential, with no bound. So this is guaranteed to end badly!

Yes, this can be an issue with non-VG Morphic too if one isn't careful.
I've run into it with everything from scrolling to mouse moves to dragging
etc.  VG likely just makes it a more frequent issue given the overhead of
the increased drawing time per frame.

> I just pushed an update that limits the processing of MouseMoveEvents to
> just one per cycle. The other kinds of events are much less likely to
> cause this kind of problems (although not completely impossible), and
> are (as usual) processed until the event queue is empty.

Please don't discard events like this.  It will have an impact on
sensitivity/resolution which is already not great.  Can we do some
combination of coalescing and/or more selectively discarding them instead?

> Please try again with this updates if you have the chance. It may help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Juan Vuletich
> www.cuis-smalltalk.org