[Cuis-dev] VectorGrahicsPlugin Troubles (WAS: Re: A few tweaks to preferences)

Gerald Klix cuis.01 at klix.ch
Sat Aug 21 03:53:18 PDT 2021

Hi guys,

see below please.

On 8/21/21 4:56 AM, Phil B via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Juan,
>
> On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 10:34 PM Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev <
> cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Gerald. I have experienced occasional crashes when zooming heavy
>> windows, but this surely makes it more likely to happen. I can't test it
>> right now (I need Windows or Linux),
No, you don't, this package works with the simulated
key-press-generated mouse-scroll-events, too.
>> but I thought of a possible reason
>> for the problem. If many drag-the-scale-handle events are processed in
>> the same Morphic cycle, and processing each takes too much time, next
>> cycle will take longer, so it will process even more of those events (if
>> generated at a constant rate by an insisting user). The growth is
>> exponential, with no bound. So this is guaranteed to end badly!
>>

> Yes, this can be an issue with non-VG Morphic too if one isn't careful.
> I've run into it with everything from scrolling to mouse moves to dragging
> etc.  VG likely just makes it a more frequent issue given the overhead of
> the increased drawing time per frame
>

>> I just pushed an update that limits the processing of MouseMoveEvents to
>> just one per cycle. The other kinds of events are much less likely to
>> cause this kind of problems (although not completely impossible), and
>> are (as usual) processed until the event queue is empty.
Thanks your change now prevents SegFaults. I tested with Haver and Cuis.

> Please don't discard events like this.  It will have an impact on
> sensitivity/resolution which is already not great.  Can we do some
> combination of coalescing and/or more selectively discarding them instead?
It certainly feels a good deal more sluggish now, Cuis, with it's
nice background bitmap, more than Haver. If you use a true-type font
instead of the standard bitmap font, Haver is faster when zooming
windows, moving windows however is slower (big surprise, that :).

BTW: Why does the file-list now start in my root directory?
This is unfortunate, because I do all my Cuis/Haver work in a
directory called "smallworks", which I can't select any more
(See attached scree/morph-shot)

Best Regards,

Gerald