[Cuis-dev] VectorGrahicsPlugin Troubles (WAS: Re: A few tweaks to preferences)

Gerald Klix cuis.01 at klix.ch
Sat Aug 21 12:36:03 PDT 2021

On 8/21/21 8:58 PM, Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev wrote:
> On 8/21/2021 3:27 PM, Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev wrote:
>>

>> On 8/21/21 7:54 PM, Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev wrote:
>>> Thanks Gerald!
>>>
>>> Luckily, in this case, the crash.dmp pointed straight to a clear bug
>>> in the code.
>> That's a big relief! I feared that this spurious crashes
>> would lead to a tedious sequence/tree of trials and errors,
>> sending E-Mails back and forth.
>>> In most other cases, any primitive that modifies an array also gets
>>> the array as argument (even if passed before). This is in case the GC
>>> moves it around. But when I added contour, somehow I forgot about
>>> this. #primResetContourTop:bottom: doesn't pass the contour array as
>>> argument, and therefore could produce an invalid access after GC.I am
>>> still hopeful that I can withstand the temptation to start
>> VM development ... Thanks for the information.
>>>
>>> This will require changes to the plugin and new VMs.
>> Of course. Just send me a message than I will rebuild the VMs.
>>>
>>> I'll be working on this in the next few days. Please stay tuned.
>> While you are at it, any chance to get
>> VectorDrawingCanvas>>image:multipliedBy:at:
>> implemented or should I wait until we have a proper
>> vector icon set?
>
> That's something that is in my ToDo list. Not sure if I'll get to it in
> this iteration. Stroke dasharray is something I also want to add:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46390535/svg-how-do-i-turn-stroke-from-dashed-to-solid
Ah OK, thank a lot.

> Let me see how much time I can allocate to Cuis next week.
>
>> Background information: Menus and my nice PlugableButtonMorphs
>> do not scale anymore, because they have icons implemented as Forms.
>
> Note that VectorCanvas already implements #image:at: , although in a
> very crude way using WarpBlt or BitBlt. That's why in Cuis you can (for
> example) open a world menu and scale / rotate it. Same with ImageMorph.
IC.

The good news: I can confirm that you can rotate menus in Cuis.
This should give me a clue to make my buttons work.

The bad news: By (bad) luck, I found a way to create
Menus that do not scale or rotate:
Start a fresh image,
pin the world- and the preferences-menu,
change the system font to a true-type font,
rotate one of the pinned menus.
Watch the shit hitting the fan.
DebugLog after the break ;»}

Any chance to recreate the menus with the proper font?

Admittedly I learned to like this (mis)feature.
Often I create the menus with a bigger font than I will use for
windows, especially when my eyesight is bad due to hay-fever.

>> As a workaround is there a chance to force some morphs
>> to be drawn by a BitBlit canvas, doing the transformations
>> as image scaling (The ugly old Squeak way)?
>
> I don't want to add the Squeak approach because it adds a lot of
> complexity to the framework. I prefer to think about each missing
> feature, and find the best solution case by case.
Yes ok.

HTH,

Gerald