[Cuis-dev] [IMPROV] Preferences Menu With Better Feedback

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Tue Aug 31 09:22:51 PDT 2021

Hi Folks,

On 8/31/2021 10:50 AM, Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev wrote:
> If you load the VectorGrahics package, many of the nice bitmap
> icons are replaced with much simpler circles,
> that show some visual feed back on mouse-over.
>
> I suppose, if we want the old icons back,
> we need to provide some nice vector graphics/SVG icons
> and probably we need to implement a cache for scaled
> bitmaps computed from those graphics.
>
> I am not the graphics and numerical algorithms expert.
>

> Just my 0.02€,
>
> Gerald

Before Casey Ransberger and I built the current look and feel, Cuis was
still looking like Squeak 3.7 (from where it was forked). This was about
10 years ago, and most platforms still used gradients and
photorrealistic art. So, we followed suit.

These days, this already makes Cuis look a bit dated. So, for the window
buttons, in VectorGraphics, I chose to build simpler, modern looking,
scalable icons. I'm not really sure we want a full set of SVG icons. For
example, I'm running MacOS BigSur, Ubuntu 20.04 and Windows 2019. They
hardly use any icons in menus at all.