[Cuis-dev] Is it possible to hide the source code in a Cuis project ?

Nicola Mingotti nmingotti at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 03:34:24 PST 2021

Hi guys,

I am considering the possibility of delivering an application
I am closing these days in the BeagleBone Black / BeagleBone AI in
Cuis-Smalltalk.

The application is already written in Python + Node it would
be mostly a translation effort.

It would be a major advantage If could hide the code from unwelcome eyes
(the competence).
My classes, specific for the application, should be by default visible only
byte compiled.

I discovered a few days ago the possibility of seeing the bytecode
of a method doing : "Inspect compiled method" so I started to ask
myself. Does Cuis need only the compiled method to run? Is it
necessary to have also the source code in place ?

Ideally It would be great if I could keep also the classes source code into
the BBB, but encrypted. In such a way that, if the customer needs
a modification, I log in remotely, decrypt the source, make the
changes and leave there again only the byte code.

Just guessing. It could be that my classes are subclasses of
EncrypedClass which
by default shows only mangled sourcecode in the Browser, unless the
programmer
provides a deciphering password.

Let me know what you think. If this is possible it would be
extremely interesting. If you think is very complex to achieve I put it
in the desiderata list, procrastinate, and keep it mind for the future.

Bye
Nicola