[Cuis-dev] Preference #warnIfNoSourcesFile

Bernhard Pieber bernhard at pieber.com
Thu Dec 23 02:41:09 PST 2021

Hi everyone,

I was bitten by the fact that I had put my image and changes into a sibling folder of Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev but forgot to copy CuisV5.sources as well. I had assumed that I would get a warning about a missing sources file but there was not. I think there should be by default.

It is interesting that the following statements return different values:
Preferences warnIfNoSourcesFile. "true"
Preferences valueOfFlag: #warnIfNoSourcesFile. "false"

The former is not used in the default image, only the latter. That is probably the reason why there is no warning.

Looking at senders of #valueOfFlag: shows it is only used in Preference class>>#doesNotUnderstand and in SystemDictionary>>#openSourcesAndChanges. Find attached a change set that uses #warnIfNoSources and #warnIfNoChanges directly instead of #valueOfFlag:.

That should reinstate the warning should one forget to copy the sources file.

Cheers,
Bernhard