[Cuis-dev] Getting Started instructions directory structure

Nicola Mingotti nmingotti at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 13:13:11 PST 2021

I add one thing that might be useful, I have a few startup .sh scripts
to run Cuis.

Because at times i want to start Cuis in its base form, e.g. i want to
evaluate recent changes other people made to the code or to test one of my
packages. At times i want to run with all my preferred library loaded and
other preferences.

I put the startup scripts into the cuis-projec[-fooX]/

I put external packages from GiHub as well into cuis-projec[-fooX]/

This way makes it clear to me that each first level sub-directory of
cuis-projec[-fooX]/
is actually an independent chunk of code which may have different
maintainers and origin.
But all of them contribute to the correct execution of the project.

When i need to move or copy the project i just .tar the cuis-project[-fooX]
and move it around as a file. Till it is between Linux x86 there is no
problem,
it works with minimum effort. It it the most easy portable thing i am
aware of.
Moving to Linux ARM into the BeagleBoards I am aware I need to change
the VM and point
my startup scripts to the 32bit image.

Bye
Nicola

On 12/23/21 18:46, Nicola Mingotti wrote:

> Hi Bernhard,
>
> yes, correct !
>
> bye
> Nicola
>

> On 12/23/21 10:32, Bernhard Pieber via Cuis-dev wrote:
>> Hi Nicola,
>>
>> Thanks for sharing your way of working. IIUC, your images all live in
>> a Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev folder, either inside a
>> cuis-project-foo*/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev or
>> cuis-project/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev, right?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Bernhard
>>
>>> Am 23.12.2021 um 10:27 schrieb Nicola Mingotti via Cuis-dev
>>> <cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st>:
>>>

>>> hi Bernhard,
>>>
>>> I add my 2 cents experience. This is the way i found to keep things
>>> organized.
>>>
>>> for each cuis program i want to write, i mean a program i want to
>>> use on
>>> the long run i do:
>>> 1. $> mkdir cuis-project-foo1
>>> 2. $> cd cuis-project-foo1
>>> 3. $> put the VM tar file here and uncompress it here