[Cuis-dev] Renaming several fundamental Morph classes

Juan Vuletich JuanVuletich at zoho.com
Tue Dec 21 11:02:42 PST 2021

Hi Folks,

It has become apparent that some class names I chose some time ago are
not meaningful enough. The most confusing is the meaning I assumed for
"Widget". Decades ago, Widget meant "UI element in some library". Today
it means "Anything the user can interact with". So, I want to do the
following renames:

MovableMorph    -> MorphicWidget
WidgetMorph      -> GUIControlMorph
KernelMorph       -> SpecialMorph
WorldMorph        -> MorphicWorld
PasteUpMorph   -> PlaygroundMorph

I hope these convey meaning more effectively.

There will be impact on some packages. I have changesets ready to be
applied for all packages in repos in the Cuis-Smalltalk organization.

Before applying all this:
Do you like the new names? Do you know better ones to suggest?
Any other thoughts?

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Juan-Vuletich
https://independent.academia.edu/JuanVuletich