[Cuis-dev] Renaming several fundamental Morph classes

Hernan Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at 10pines.com
Mon Dec 27 05:40:51 PST 2021

Hi everyone!
 I hope you had a great weekend... I did it because I haven't used the
computer since Friday!! :-)

 I don't really have too much to add... I think it is great to get rid
of names like Kernel, Special, etc. because their meaning is very confusing
and ambiguous.
 Regarding the specific names, sadly I'm not an expert in Morph so I do not
know what makes any class special, the behavior they provide to make
them distinguishable, etc.
 I think it would be great to avoid using the word Morph as a suffix, if we
compare that hierarchy with Collection, we do not see any of its subclasses
(but a few) with Collection as a suffix. Array is Array and not
ArrayCollection, Dictionary is not DictionaryCollection, etc. When having
to add a suffix to subclasses' names I see it as a lack of a metaphor or an
analogy with something "real"(*) that would help to select better names. I
think that having a metaphor or analogy would help a lot to name these
classes. I'm not sure which metaphor to use but maybe we can start a new
thread to look for it :-)

Cheers!
Hernan
 (*) real is not the right word, I mean touchable, visible, etc.

On Mon, Dec 27, 2021 at 8:20 AM Andres Valloud via Cuis-dev <
cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

> Food for thought...
>
> 1.  Other choices for LocatedMorph.
>
>         PlacedMorph
>
> 2.  Other choices for RectMorph and friends.
>
>         TileMorph
>         BorderedTileMorph
>         FramedTileMorph
>
>         AreaMorph etc...
>         RegionMorph etc...
>
> 3.  Other choices for PasteUpMorph
>
>         CollageMorph
>

> Generally speaking, for things that will be talked about a lot, fewer
> syllables are better.  For instance, FramedTileMorph has just 3, and
> PlacedMorph has just 2.
>
> Taking things into a completely different direction... keep in mind the
> following terms.
>
>         LocatedMorph -> Amorph, Polymorph
>         RectMorph -> Allomorph, Anamorph, Pseudomorph
>         BorderedRectMorph -> Perimorph
>         ? -> Neomorph, Isomorph
>
> Andres.
>
> On 12/26/21 11:30 AM, Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev wrote:
> > This is my current suggestion, that tries to follow consensus:
> >
> > Morph
> >      LocatedMorph (location) [today’s MovableMorph]
> >          RectMorph (extent, color) [to replace KernelMorph and part of
> > WidgetMorph]
> >              BorderedRectMorph (borderWidth, borderColor) [rest of
> > today’s WidgetMorph]
> >              PasteUpMorph [no change]
> >                  WorldMorph [no change]
> >              PluggableMorph [no change]
> >
> > Please keep the discussion going!

<https://10pines.com/>Hernán WilkinsonSoftware Developer & Coach

Alem 896, Floor 6, Buenos Aires, Argentina

+54 11 6091 3125

@HernanWilkinson