[Cuis-dev] [Proposal] Keep a changelog

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Mon Dec 27 08:29:15 PST 2021

On 2021-12-27 05:45, Nicolás Papagna Maldonado via Cuis-dev wrote:

> I remember the last time the morph hierarchy changed, all my packages
> broke 😭
> To fix them, I had to search through the mailing list to see if there
> was a reference to the missing morph superclasses and that's how I
> found out about the changes.
..

> How would you folks feel about keeping a changelog?
> That, at least, will save us time when breaking changes are merged and
> will provide users migration instructions.

Yes. A history file is a good idea.  Perhaps also a "porting notes" file
for people translating packages from Squeak/Pharo/Wherever.

<ignorable{>
Trying to regularize and simplify causes change.  We don't want to make
these changes often.  Enhancing new user learning and comprehension will
help get more users.  We hope that changing now to make Cuis ever better
for new learners.  As with all code changes, we like the improvements to
pay for themselves.

Aesthetics, restraint, good judgment are the hardest to teach and to
practice.

Mumble..
<}ignorable>

I personally find the wealth of interest and ideas in the Cuis
community to be delightful!

One of the signs of a good community is to be able to disagree without
disaster.  :)

We are all working toward the best.

Happy holidays,
-KenD