[Cuis-dev] cuis svg plugin

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Fri Jul 16 10:20:35 PDT 2021

On 7/16/2021 1:54 PM, stes--- via Cuis-dev wrote:
> I've been packaging the VectorEnginePlugin for OpenIndiana as part of the Squeak VM.
>
> http://docs.openindiana.org/handbook/community/squeak/index.html
>
> Based on my observations so far, at first I thought I'd better add it to the default set of plugins.
>
> But now I think about making the SVG (scalable Vector graphics plugin) optional.
>
> The plugin could be installed by  :  pkg install squeak-svg
>
> or pkg install cog-spur-svg  for the spur VM.
>
> Is there a serious reason NOT to call the package squeak-svg ?
>
> I like a short name svg better than a fully spelled out VectorEnginePlugin.
>
> Regards,
> David Stes

Hi David,

I think that the plugin could be included by default in VMs, The Mac VM
gets just 2.5% larger with it. Is there any reason for making it optional?

Reasons why I wouldn't call it "squeak-svg"
- It is not squeak specific at all. Currently there's no support for it
in Squeak. I wouldn't prefix it with "Cuis" either, as it is not Cuis
specific, and maybe Squeak could also use it.
- It is not about SVG. SVG is a file format. I Cuis, the file format is
supported by the SVG.pck.st optional package. SVG.pck.st requires
VectorGraphics, but Cuis can do many things with VectorGraphics without
using SVG files at all. I wrote SVG.pck.st to show what
VectorGraphics.pck.st is capable of doing.

The first name I thought was VectorGraphicsEnginePlugin, as it is the
plugin used by the VectorGraphicsEngine class hierarchy. Then I
preferred the shorter, but hopefully still clear VectorEnginePlugin name.

I hope this makes sense to you.