[Cuis-dev] A lot of log messages in Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev dir

Gerald Klix cuis.01 at klix.ch
Wed Jul 28 02:57:42 PDT 2021

Hi Nicola,

that's an easy one. The class side of Preferences contains
the following method:

logDebuggerStackToFile
	^ self
		valueOfFlag: #logDebuggerStackToFile
		ifAbsent: [ true ].

That message is sent in Debugger class:
openContext: aContext label: aString contents: contentsStringOrNil
	"Open a notifier in response to an error, halt, or notify. A notifier
view just shows a short view of the sender stack and provides a menu
that lets the user open a full debugger."

	<primitive: 19> "Simulation guard"

	(self errorRecursion not and: [Preferences logDebuggerStackToFile]) ifTrue:
		[Smalltalk logError: aString inContext: aContext to: 'CuisDebug'].
....... Here follows the actual debugger code .......

and some other debugger class methods.
I once considered to change these three methods to use 'HaverDebug'
but refrained from patching three system methods for
vanity^H^H^H^H^H^Hnaming reasons.

To make things easier and more complicated there also
exists some DNU logic in Preferences class:

doesNotUnderstand: aMessage
	"Look up the message selector as a flag."
	aMessage arguments size > 0 ifTrue: [^ super doesNotUnderstand: aMessage].
	^ self valueOfFlag: aMessage selector

You also might have noticed this one:

valueOfFlag: aFlagName
	"Answer the value of the given flag"

	^ (self preferenceAt: aFlagName ifAbsent: [^ false]) preferenceValue

which defaults to false in conrast to many hard coded
methods.

HTH and Best Regards,

Gerald