[Cuis-dev] Not saving the image?

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Sat Jul 31 14:20:03 PDT 2021

On 2021-07-31 10:29, Vanessa Freudenberg via Cuis-dev wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 8:24 AM Nicola Mingotti via Cuis-dev
> <cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:
>
>> Since the CuisBook recommends, as good practice, not to save the image
>
> Uh ... Feeling like a real beginner now. Why would I not want to save
> the image?

Hey, learning is good!  Be glad you don't know everything!  ;^)

Certainly save all you want when playing around.

The development style is to create a package for code which specifies
any other packages it requires.  Save your package as you go along with
code as you write it.  Don't save the image.

The next day, just "Feature require: 'YourPackage'", and you know at the
end of this process, anyone else can git clone your package repo and be
able to "Feature require: 'YourPackage'" and have all requirements met.
No one is in "library hell" trying to figure out requirements and
versioning.  It just works (or complains about a missing requirement).

One learns to think compositionally.  You can learn the base five to six
hundred classes, then you only need to learn each package 'delta' to
understand what is added.  So one can learn by composition.

The sample package tutorial in
https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Learning-Cuis is pretty quick:

https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Learning-Cuis/blob/master/SamplePackage1.md

Cheers,