[Cuis-dev] Not saving the image?

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sat Jul 31 17:05:14 PDT 2021

Hi Folks,

On 7/31/2021 6:20 PM, ken.dickey--- via Cuis-dev wrote:
> On 2021-07-31 10:29, Vanessa Freudenberg via Cuis-dev wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 8:24 AM Nicola Mingotti via Cuis-dev
>> <cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:
>>
>>> Since the CuisBook recommends, as good practice, not to save the image
>>
>> Uh ... Feeling like a real beginner now. Why would I not want to save
>> the image?
>
> Hey, learning is good!  Be glad you don't know everything!  ;^)
>
> Certainly save all you want when playing around.
>
> The development style is to create a package for code which specifies
> any other packages it requires.  Save your package as you go along
> with code as you write it.  Don't save the image.
>
> The next day, just "Feature require: 'YourPackage'", and you know at
> the end of this process, anyone else can git clone your package repo
> and be able to "Feature require: 'YourPackage'" and have all
> requirements met.  No one is in "library hell" trying to figure out
> requirements and versioning.  It just works (or complains about a
> missing requirement).
>
> One learns to think compositionally.  You can learn the base five to
> six hundred classes, then you only need to learn each package 'delta'
> to understand what is added.  So one can learn by composition.
>
> The sample package tutorial in
> https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Learning-Cuis is pretty quick:
>

> https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Learning-Cuis/blob/master/SamplePackage1.md
>
> Cheers,
> -KenD

Thanks Ken. Your comments are stop on.

I just want to add that a comment. We have found that for many newcomers
to Smalltalk (for example, from Python), the idea of the Smalltalk
image, and saving it is very alien. Still we want them to be comfortable
with Smalltalk. On top of that, the idea that "all code is always in the
repo" helps some team workflows. At least, it worked well for me for
several team projects, and for maintaining Cuis itself. Hence the
suggested workflow.

Experienced Smalltalkers like you should choose the workflow that works
best for them!