[Cuis-dev] Big Fun on Linux was ( Updates to VectorGraphics and precompiled MacVM)

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Tue Jun 1 12:06:03 PDT 2021

On 5/22/2021 11:36 AM, Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Oh yes, faster BitBlit is definitely needed.
> Cuis on Raspi 4 with 4k monitor is not usable.
>
> If I understand
>
> https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/pull/565
>
> correctly, these patches should also affect 32bit performance.
>

> Thanks a lot,
>
> Gerald
>

> On 2021-05-22 15:41, ken.dickey at whidbey.com wrote:
>> On 2021-05-22 00:35, Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev wrote:
>>> I was not able to build this on Raspberry OS,
>>
>> Not yet integrated to OpenSmalltalk but
>>
>>    https://github.com/bavison/opensmalltalk-vm
>>
>> builds a working VM on a RasPi 4.  It has optimized BitBlt and a fix
>> for the config.h bug.
>>
>> I am super busy, and have not had a chance to run VMMaker, but you
>> should be able to plug the result into build.linux64ARMv8 and have a go.
>>
>> HTH,
>> -KenD

I wonder what would the performance of VectorGraphics result compared to
a comparable Intel machine. I don't have the build environments set up,
but if you can build Raspian 32 bit and Windows 32 bit, I can compare my
RasPi3B to my 2010 Atom netbook (I think their performance is generally
considered similar).

(Yesterday I pushed some updates. A new plugin C code generation and VM
rebuild is in order. Performance and memory usage improved).