[Cuis-dev] Bad news (Was Re: Big Fun on Linux was ( Updates to VectorGraphics and precompiled MacVM))

Gerald Klix cuis.01 at klix.ch
Wed Jun 2 06:36:47 PDT 2021

Hi Juan,

please see below ...

On 6/2/21 2:49 PM, Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Hi Gerald,
>
> On 6/2/2021 8:06 AM, Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev wrote:
>> Hi Folks, Hi Juan,
>>
>> tried to build that stuff on windows -- after
>> some windows updates -- with bad results.
>>
>> VM crashes when it loads an image,
>> no clue why. I have no stomach to debug this.
>
> I'd like to test the VectorEnginePlugin on Win32, especially to compare
> an old Atom with a RasPI, but I can wait. If not earlier, when
> VectorEnginePlugin gets integrated into the official OpenSmalltalk VMs
> it will be available for all supported platforms.
>
>> I managed to build the rapsberry pi VM,
>> obviously the move to clang did
>> break the CameraPlugin and the FFIplugin.
>> The former is probably unimportant;
>> a VM without the later is not what
>> one wants for Cuis.
>>
>> At least this VM starts a plain Cuis-image,
>> of course after I disabled the aforementioned
>> plugins.
>
> Please make this VM available. I'd like to test on my raspi, and don't
> need FFI for that.
VM is here:
https://www.klix.ch/haver/releases/5.0-202106020800-HVR_MVP_ALPHA3_VEP_2021-06-02-aarch64-32bit.tar.xz

Linux AMD64 is here:
https://www.klix.ch/haver/releases/5.0-202105210801-HVR_MVP_ALPHA3_VEP_2021-06-02-x86-64bit.tar.xz

Please note, that the Raspi VM may not work on a
32bit-Kernel, although I compiled it for 32bit user space. Last time I
tried ld.so complained
about incompatible c-libraries.

I will try to compile it for an older Raspi OS
version. This may take some time, because I only have a Raspi 3 for that
purpose; lacking RAM and
mirrored USB3-sticks. NFS doesn't help much
either; it has this USB2-connected GBit-Ethernet
hardware.

> Also, I'd like to test your Linux x64 VM with the plugin.
See above.

>> This one:
>> https://github.com/bavison/opensmalltalk-vm.git
--- snip ---