[Cuis-dev] Show Morphs halos from object explorer

Hernan Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at 10pines.com
Tue Jun 29 10:27:13 PDT 2021

I think multiple dispatch adds too much burden to solve this problem...

Regarding removing messages such as inspectorClass, a good example is Self
with Mirrors... also used by Gilad Bracha in NewsSpeak

My 0.01 cents :-)
Hernan

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 1:59 PM Mariano Montone via Cuis-dev <
cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

> El 29/6/21 a las 13:45, Nicolás Papagna Maldonado escribió:
> > e.g. why restrict ourselves to just one inspector? We could ask all
> > available inspectors if they are able to inspect a given object,
> > removing the responsibility from the object and putting that on the
> > inspectors.
>
> Yes. That would be great IMO. But we would need some solution that is
> extensible, of course. And as you suggest, this problem appears in lots
> of places, in a slightly different form.
>
> It'd be great if we could find some sort of pattern for these. Perhaps
> multiple dispatch + package categories for extensibility.
>
> In Common Lisp you have generic functions with multiple dispatch, and
> methods don't belong to classes, and so everything is more easily
> extensible. Perhaps mimicking that machinery in some way in Smalltalk,
> but I think it could get complicated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mariano

<https://10pines.com/>Hernán WilkinsonSoftware Developer, Teacher & Coach

Alem 896, Floor 6, Buenos Aires, Argentina

+54 11 6091 3125

@HernanWilkinson