[Cuis-dev] TheCuisBook openInErudite

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Wed Mar 17 12:52:56 PDT 2021

On 2021-03-17 11:02, Rafael Ignacio Matías Sniechowski wrote:

> Thanks for your comments. I agree with you that pouring the Spacewars!
> code interspersed in between the different sections of an Erudite
> version of the book is not only hard but also useless.

It would not be difficult to bring up a Browser with the Spacewars! code
snippets already pasted in, but part of the point is teaching the tools.

Having the learner copy/past from Erudite rather than PDF or HTML is not
that different.  Basically code to be copied is just text rather than
something just clickable.

> But I think that is still a good idea to have good documentation on
> Erudite. It is such a good addition to Cuis!

+10 !!

I am not trying to stop anyone from doing this -- I just want to be sure
that what is done is clear enough for learners to pick up.

Hey, I know that _I_ confuse easily!

An Erudite version of TheCuisBook, plus Erudite books for other
tutorials and topics from Cuis-Smalltalk/Learning-Cuis would be very
welcomed!

One thought is to use icons (e.g. thumbnails) of Code Browser, Package
Browser, and so forth be placed where a learner is expected to switch
from Erudite to another tool, and perhaps an Erudite icon to bracket
where they should come back.

One advantage of Cuis's choice of colors for UI tools is that one can
recognize thumbnails by color.  The icons themselves could be clicked on
to bring up the associated tool, perhaps at the topical class.  It might
be useful, if the user still has a browser up, to switch back to it
rather than bringing up a new instance, but this is a nice-to-have, not
a requirement.  It would be cool, though!  ;^)

We just need to explain to the reader up front that this is the work
style to set expectations and then try it out ourselves to ensure a
smooth flow.

I think Erudite books on Cuis topics is a wonderful idea!

-KenD