[Cuis-dev] Porting from Pharo

Gerald Klix cuis.01 at klix.ch
Sun May 2 11:50:23 PDT 2021

On 2021-05-02 19:45, Hilaire Fernandes via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Le 02/05/2021 à 13:49, Gerald Klix a écrit :
>> There is no use in not forking Pharo Code,
>> because you have to fork your code just to
>> be compatible between the different Pharo
>> versions.
>
> True, but the differences between one version of Pharo and the next one
> are not that important. Well it depends on the iteration. But it is true
> it always requires your code to be adjusted more or less importantly.
Right now I am under the impression, that the
differences between various versions of Pharo
are es big as the differences between Python 2.7
and Python 3.x. Ok it is Pharo 5.x, 6.x, 7.x. I
should have been warned, they take semantic
versioning seriously.

> In the other hand, porting DrGeo from Pharo to Cuis is a far more
> important challenge. The most important is the departure from Polymorph,
> developed by Gary Chamber for Squeak and adopted by Pharo. Then of
> course the motivation challenge in the port, which is to redo what was
> already done.
Ah yes, NIH is also one of Pharo's virtues.
We have Spec, Spec2, Bloc, Glamorous ... what
did I miss? Ah yes, Morphic!
(Stop ranting, Gerald!)

If I look at this collection of screenshots:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/12018791@N06/sets/72157601659393251/

Polymorph is an impressive piece of software.
I was not aware of it's existence.
Which features do you need for Dr.Geo?

>> I am pretty sure, Dr.Geo's developer*s* can
>> elaborate on that topic.
>
> You can remove the *S*. It is sadly one person effort.
Indeed, that's depressing.
It also explains why it's mailing list is so
quiet.

> Hilaire

Best Regards,

Gerald