[Cuis-dev] Updates to VectorGraphics and precompiled MacVM

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Fri May 21 12:28:49 PDT 2021

On 5/20/2021 12:34 PM, Philip Bernhart via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Hi Juan,
>
> Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev<cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st>  writes:
>
>> Recently, I've been working on improving the VectorGraphics plugin. I
>> added a new primitive that will help quick display of SVG icons. Please
>> pull all repos.
> what would be needed so that the VM plugin could be bundled
> outside the VM, without compiling a new VM?

It can be done. I just didn't spend time on this. Besides, for this
specific plugin, I don't see the advantage of doing this. I'd prefer it
to be integrated into official OpenSmalltalk VMs instead.

> Did you talk with Eliot about this as this seems to be
> a topic which is always postponed and where everybody
> has different opinions about it.
>
> I'm re-considering if I should look again into the
> Cuis-Smalltalk-Slang code.
>

> Cheers,
> Philip

I think we'd extract a simpler PluginMaker package from VMMaker, and
don't try to maintain a full VMMaker package. Cuis can not simulate and
build the whole VM, and I don't think the huge required effort is worth
it. Squeak should be the main platform for simulating and building the
VM for as long as VM maintainers prefer it.

But Cuis can and should be a good place for building custom VM plugins.