[Cuis-dev] Real Joy on Linux was ( Updates to VectorGraphics and precompiled MacVM)

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Sat May 22 23:11:06 PDT 2021

----- Op 22 mei 2021 om 13:52 schreef Gerald Klix cuis.01 at klix.ch:

> Yep, I am tempted to quote Tobias Pape:
>
> "
> See https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/pull/562
> and the related threads on here a few weeks back.
>
> We patiently waiting for Eliot to give his blessing :)
> "
>
> -- snip --
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Gerald

If the VMMaker is changed, perhaps many other people including Ian Piumarta or Tim Rowledge and many others,
can review the change.

How about adding a variable in VMMaker to select the desired generated code ?

Something like:

   includeConfigHeader ifTrue: [ '#include "config.h" print ]

so that if  includeConfigHeader is false you still generate the old code.

The old code can be used with Cmake based classical VM compiles.

Or it can be used with -D defines in plain Makefiles, as Eliot Miranda, who has some good arguments to dislike GNU configure, prefers.

The VMMaker could be extended with some classes

  TargetBuildSystem as abstract superclass of:

    1) GbuConfigure
    2) Cmake
    3) PlainMake

these classes could provide messages like

   writeHeader
   writeFooter

or Prologue and Epilogue

When VMMaker generates code, the target build system (instance of TargetBuildSystem) can be choosen.

So VMMaker can generate code that fits different programming styles, as enforced by different build systems.

Regards,
David Stes