[Cuis-dev] Package installer (teaser)

Nicolás Papagna Maldonado nicolas.papagna at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 11:24:10 PST 2021

https://github.com/npapagna/cuis-system-updaterVery cool Mariano!

I did some work on the GitHub side of things some time ago.
The thread on this list was "Introducing System Updater for Cuis
Smalltalk", and here is the repo:
https://github.com/npapagna/cuis-system-updater.

I had a couple of issues, I recall the following being the most important:

   - Automatically updating the cuis image was hard because I had to deal
   with something related to morphs (I can look for the email that I sent to
   the list describing the problem later)
   - The public GitHub API is rate limited, and I quickly reached out that
   limit while trying to run my updater.

I was just thinking about this last weekend, and I wanted to try using the
GitHub API requiring an API Key (yes, if you want to use the tool you'd
have to get one), but this allows access to better and less restricted API
usage.

I'm happy to dig deeper into that if it helps.

Cheers!
Nico PM

On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 3:02 PM Mariano Montone via Cuis-dev <
cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Inspired by my recent work on the Cuis Website page that lists packages,
> I thought a Cuis application for listing and installing packages could
> be nice to have.
>
> Here is a demo:
>

> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SCG4mTE5YETtqVz1QpIS-HSAlNth8yL1/view?usp=sharing
>
> That's just a first prototype. Lists every package that can be found on
> disk. But I'm also considering the ability to download packages from the
> internet. Perhaps using the github api, like we are doing for Cuis-Website.
>
> That's it. Very early idea, but I thought I'd share anyway.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Mariano

Nicolás Papagna