[Cuis-dev] VectorGraphics and ARM64

Phil B pbpublist at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 15:35:31 PST 2021

Ken,

On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 6:24 PM <ken.dickey at whidbey.com> wrote:

> On 2021-11-21 14:24, Phil B via Cuis-dev wrote:
>
> > VectorGraphics is going to be slow(ish) on any ARM SBC or phone
> > unless/until it is OpenCL/Vulkan accelerated and maybe even then.
>
> Juan can clarify, but Cuis SVG does _not_ use the GPU because setting up
> the graphics pipeline has too much overhead to be useful.

That's entirely possible, I was just making the statement that short of
that it simply isn't possible to even get in the realm of x86 performance
as GPU acceleration is how the majority of applications get there on ARM.

> > It's a very computationally intensive subsystem (at least an order of
> > magnitude more so than raster graphics) and most ARM mobile chips (i.e.
> > pretty much everything non-Apple) are generally 1/10-1/20th the speed
> > of a fast x86 computer as they are typically inferior in every respect:
> > manufactured on larger process nodes, lower clock speeds, lower bus
> > bandwidth, weaker floating point units, smaller and slower cache,
> > slower RAM etc etc.
>
> I don't want a flame war, but I have always hated Intel's "push pop"
> architecture and prefer RISCs.  I get the feeling that on Intel I can't
> run but must hop and Intel compensates by letting me hop very fast.
> Yes, I have written assembler for a number of architectures (68k, 88k,
> ARMs, RISC-V..).  Intel over the years has had quite a number of
> floating point hardware bugs compared to other processor architectures.
> MIPS per WATT power consumption is horrible. 'Nuf said.  Different
> measures of goodness.  Please, forgive me and let's move on..  Thanks

I'm not much of an x86 fan myself, but unfortunately it's the high
performance platform... for now.  I am encouraged that Apple is showing the
industry that it (high performance non-x86) can be done and hope at some
point it snaps out of its x86 coma.  That said, I'd rather see an open ISA
like RISC-V really take off but right now that's more a dream than
reality... it's x86 in most of the (non-Apple) PC world and ARM everywhere
else.  That said, I literally just ordered my new CPU today (Ryzen) as
apparently my Sandy Bridge i7 is no longer state of the art (or even enough
to do what I need) and the industry still isn't making the CPUs I really
want... ;-)

> Good on ya,
> -KenD

Thanks,