[Cuis-dev] VectorGraphics and ARM64

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Sun Nov 21 15:24:39 PST 2021

On 2021-11-21 14:24, Phil B via Cuis-dev wrote:

> VectorGraphics is going to be slow(ish) on any ARM SBC or phone
> unless/until it is OpenCL/Vulkan accelerated and maybe even then.

Juan can clarify, but Cuis SVG does _not_ use the GPU because setting up
the graphics pipeline has too much overhead to be useful.

> It's a very computationally intensive subsystem (at least an order of
> magnitude more so than raster graphics) and most ARM mobile chips (i.e.
> pretty much everything non-Apple) are generally 1/10-1/20th the speed
> of a fast x86 computer as they are typically inferior in every respect:
> manufactured on larger process nodes, lower clock speeds, lower bus
> bandwidth, weaker floating point units, smaller and slower cache,
> slower RAM etc etc.

I don't want a flame war, but I have always hated Intel's "push pop"
architecture and prefer RISCs.  I get the feeling that on Intel I can't
run but must hop and Intel compensates by letting me hop very fast.
Yes, I have written assembler for a number of architectures (68k, 88k,
ARMs, RISC-V..).  Intel over the years has had quite a number of
floating point hardware bugs compared to other processor architectures.
MIPS per WATT power consumption is horrible. 'Nuf said.  Different
measures of goodness.  Please, forgive me and let's move on..  Thanks

Good on ya,
-KenD