[Cuis-dev] Locale Plugin and Gettext package

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at drgeo.eu
Fri Oct 29 02:51:19 PDT 2021

Hello,

A while ago, more than 10 years. I ported to Pharo the original
Gettext[1] package developed by the Etoys team[2], to use it with DrGeo.
Gettext is a system to translate the string in an image. It is
originally a C library. There is then a whole ecosystem to manage the
translation of the application[3]. The translations are done per domain
correlated with class category in Smalltalk. So you can manage
translation with different .po files per class category. It is a very
valuable addition when you are targeting end user, out of the English
sphere.

To work it requires the LocalePlugin to be used in the Smalltalk system,
to detect which locale to use and which translation file to use.

The gettext package in the Pharo community has continued to evolve with
fixes[2]. It is used by people developing end user web application. The
Squeak community seems to have completely forgotten about it. So a port
to Cuis should be done from the Pharo version found in SmalltalkHub or GIT.

This is a port I will have to do for DrGeo. Other people interested to
join in the effort?

Best

Hilaire

[1 ] https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/