[Cuis-dev] New tests in ARM 32bit with BeagleBone Black

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Thu Sep 16 10:58:15 PDT 2021

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for testing and reporting. Comments inline.

On 9/16/2021 2:32 PM, Nicola Mingotti via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> today i made several test with Cuis5.0-4834-32.image and the latest
> release of the VM
> in the BeagleBone Black.
>
> Here is what i found:
>
> * The latest stable release of the VM is broken:
> squeak.cog.spur_linux32ARMv6_202003021730.tar.gz
>   I put the error message at the end.

This is to be reported at the appropriate place for OpenSmalltalk people
to fix it. We don't develop the OpenSmalltalk VM here.

> * Then, I used the latest build. That runs.

Nice.

> * It is possible to work in Cuis, there is an improvement. I used only
> this ligthenings:
> ----
>
> self runningWorld hideTaskbar.
>
> Preferences disable: #subPixelRenderColorFonts.
>
> ----
>
> * Sometimes moving a Browser window the operation hangs. Moving
> smaller (with less content) morphs
>   it goes all fine.

What do you mean by "hangs"?

> https://pasteboard.co/mGF8uP2QQS5y.png

It seems VectorGraphics requires #subPixelRenderFonts and
#subPixelRenderColorFonts both set to true. Disabling them gives the
same result on my Mac.

> * The system is always at load average higher than 0.90. Part of it is
> VNC, part of it is CUIS.
>   So, it can be used for entertainment but for work objectives still
> better to use a larger computer.
>   I wish to tray the BeagleBone AI as soon as I can.
>

> Bye
> Nicola

Thanks. I have found that Cuis runs quite well on my RasPi 3B, including
VectorGraphics if using a VM with the plugin. Still, I use a regular PC
for day to day dev.