[Cuis-dev] DSL GUI framework

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sun Sep 26 08:24:02 PDT 2021

On 9/25/2021 6:09 AM, Hilaire Fernandes via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Le 23/09/2021 à 22:02, Juan Vuletich a écrit :
>>
>> When I wrote LightWidgets and that doc, I was thinking on a regular
>> widget kit, where you have maybe ten kinds of very generic widgets,
>> and compose them in different ways to build UIs.
>>
>>> Nevertheless, it will be tremendously helpful to rationalize the
>>> Morph jungle when it comes to GUI building.
>>
>> I think the first distinction to make is between general, reusable
>> widgets on one hand, and app specific morphs on the other.
>
> I agree with you.
>
> I am a bit in a hesitating/stalled situation: most of the DrGeo core
> is functioning, now I need to work on the GUI with dialogs, toolbars,
> panels, wizards.  Could write from scratch but there is may be
> something more general to do, overall useful for Cuis community. But I
> am clueless how you design a GUI framework and it's likely a lot of work.
>
> Hilaire
>
> --
> GNU Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu
> http://blog.drgeo.eu

When I'm not sure about a design, I start exploring the problem. Any
hack will do, as it will teach me stuff and help me see better.

Perhaps we can start with any dialog / toolber / panel or wizard. Just
pick one. Tell us briefly how to use it in Pharo, and what are the DrGeo
model objects it operates on.

Then, let's build a first sketch: Using existing Layout, Labels, Text
morphs, Label morphs, etc. Like Cuis builds all the existing tools. Now,
see what is missing, etc.

Then, let's think together and discuss.