[Cuis-dev] Is anyone working on Morphic-free Cuis?

Juan Vuletich JuanVuletich at zoho.com
Thu Apr 21 11:35:06 PDT 2022

Hi Stephen,

On 4/21/2022 3:00 PM, stephen--- via Cuis-dev wrote:

> Hi again all,
>
> Yeah, I’m still tracking Cuis, and loving the lack of bloat.

Thanks!

> My issues with Morphic are that it’s not MVC and it’s not well-designed.
>
> First, views and controllers are merged, which hurts reusability of
> components and hinders the development of new interaction methods like
> multi-touch screens or voice input.

I was aware of your opinion wrt. Morphic vs. MVC. I think it would be
very interesting to see someone take MVC to the level of mouse based
interaction that Morphic already supports.

> Second, the base classes (Morph et al.) are pretty heavy-weight; Morph
> has 6 instance variables, and you’re up to 10 or more by the time you
> get to the interesting classes.  This makes it hell on the garbage
> collector for complex UIs (like music notation) where you might have
> thousands of display objects on the screen, and want to scroll or page
> quickly.
> I really want to port my Music framework (Siren =
> https://github.com/stpope/Siren9) off of VisualWorks, but I refuse to
> use Morphic, so I’m looking at the new UI frameworks being built in
> Pharo.  Pharo is way bloated, though, which is why I was hoping
> somebody was porting Sparta/Block/Brick to Cuis...

Well, the real question is: Is Sparta/Block/Brick lighter than Morphic?
Would it give better performance? I guess someone has to try.

I believe it was John Maloney who once said that even the little dot on
top of the 'i' should be a Morph. Still, in Morphic, a text editor is a
single morph, as you say, for performance reasons. Perhaps a morph
supporting music notation could be built in a similar way, or perhaps a
middle ground design, where each staff is a morph.

I wonder if in MVC or Brick having an object for each note would give
good performance, or at least any better than Morphic.

Just thinking out loud.

> Keep up the great work!
>
> Stephen
>

> --
>
>                     Stephen Travis Pope   Ojai, California, USA
> http://HeavenEverywhere.comhttp://FASTLabInc.com
> https://vimeo.com/user19434036/videos
> http://heaveneverywhere.com/Reflections
>
> --