[Cuis-dev] UTF-8 Unicode editors

Juan Vuletich JuanVuletich at zoho.com
Fri Apr 29 18:55:36 PDT 2022

Class StringUtf8 is a bytes object (like ByteArray). It implements
#byteSize, #byteAt:, #byteAt:put:. #at: is rather expensive. It doesn't
support #at:put:. It has several iteration messages in CodePoints.
Performance seems OK for reasonably small stuff.

In any case, it is always possible to change the data structure, as long
as it is polymorphic.

I haven't used it for Smalltalk source code yet, only for stand alone
editors. Parser would see instances of UnicodeCodePoint, maybe mixed
with Characters (for code points that fit in a Cuis Character).

So far this is experimental, so we can adapt it while we learn the
details of what we need.